EN HU
kelenfold-winter-2-2.jpg
kelenfold-winter-2-3.jpg
kelenfold-winter-2-2.jpg

Kelenföld Power Plant is 100 years old in 2014

 

Address: Budapest XI., Hengermalom út 60.

Power Plant director: Tibor Horváth

Tel.: +36/15778700

In connection with the electrification programme of the capital, electricity generation started at Kelenföld Power Plant in June 1914. In accordance with the technical conditions of the era, steam was generated in coal-fired low pressure boilers, and electricity at 10 kV voltage level was produced in 2 x 7.5 MWe turbo generator units.

From 1922 until 1943, new steam boilers and turbines were installed in two extension phases. Before World War II, 19 boilers and 8 turbines operated already at 38 bar steam pressure, satisfying the growing electricity demand through 30 kV direct consumer cables. Most of the then state-of-the-art equipment were made by Hungarian manufacturers.

After the war the development directions were determined by the fuel change (besides coal, heavy oil appeared) and by the commencement of industrial hot water / steam and residential hot water supply. Supply for the industrial plants started in 1953 and for the newly built housing estates in 1958.

Between 1962 and 1972, the power plant completely changed in accordance with the heat supply demands. The former condensing technology was replaced by back pressure and heating turbines and the reliability of district heating was improved by hot water boilers. Coal and heavy oil firing was gradually replaced by natural gas firing. This is where the first gas turbine with a capacity of 32 MWe was put in operation in Hungary in 1972, supporting the electrical network mainly in peak periods.

Coal firing definitively ended and the extension of the district heating system was finished at Kelenföld in 1980, and this district became the highest heat capacity district heating area in the country.

In 1995, a new development phase started: a 132 MWe gas turbine and a heat recovery steam generator were put in operation, ensuring the basis and the best energetic efficiency for a high capacity cogeneration power plant technology. The programme of the replacement of the already obsolete boilers and steam turbines finished in 2006. This is when Kelenföld became a real cogeneration power plant.

In 2007, a modern water treatment plant with an optimised capacity was built, while the last development phase realised up to now finished with the installation of low capacity gas turbines in 2010. From environmental point of view, the gas turbine and the boiler firing equipment upgraded in 2011 operate with extremely good emission values.

During the century old history of the power plant, the application of high technical standards, adaptation to the economic and technical changes and a loyal and dedicated employee approach were typical.

Some figures about Kelenföld Power Plant (2013-14):

  • district heating area: 41 000 flats and 1 440 other district heating consumers
  • contracted heat capacity (for 2014 with FŐTÁV): 279 MWth
  • built-in electrical capacity: 178 MWe
  • built-in electrical capacity of the small gas turbines: 10 MWe

 

 

Kelenföld Power Plant is 100 years old in 2014

 

Address: Budapest XI., Hengermalom út 60.

Power Plant director: Tibor Horváth

Tel.: +36/15778700

In connection with the electrification programme of the capital, electricity generation started at Kelenföld Power Plant in June 1914. In accordance with the technical conditions of the era, steam was generated in coal-fired low pressure boilers, and electricity at 10 kV voltage level was produced in 2 x 7.5 MWe turbo generator units.

From 1922 until 1943, new steam boilers and turbines were installed in two extension phases. Before World War II, 19 boilers and 8 turbines operated already at 38 bar steam pressure, satisfying the growing electricity demand through 30 kV direct consumer cables. Most of the then state-of-the-art equipment were made by Hungarian manufacturers.

After the war the development directions were determined by the fuel change (besides coal, heavy oil appeared) and by the commencement of industrial hot water / steam and residential hot water supply. Supply for the industrial plants started in 1953 and for the newly built housing estates in 1958.

Between 1962 and 1972, the power plant completely changed in accordance with the heat supply demands. The former condensing technology was replaced by back pressure and heating turbines and the reliability of district heating was improved by hot water boilers. Coal and heavy oil firing was gradually replaced by natural gas firing. This is where the first gas turbine with a capacity of 32 MWe was put in operation in Hungary in 1972, supporting the electrical network mainly in peak periods.

Coal firing definitively ended and the extension of the district heating system was finished at Kelenföld in 1980, and this district became the highest heat capacity district heating area in the country.

In 1995, a new development phase started: a 132 MWe gas turbine and a heat recovery steam generator were put in operation, ensuring the basis and the best energetic efficiency for a high capacity cogeneration power plant technology. The programme of the replacement of the already obsolete boilers and steam turbines finished in 2006. This is when Kelenföld became a real cogeneration power plant.

In 2007, a modern water treatment plant with an optimised capacity was built, while the last development phase realised up to now finished with the installation of low capacity gas turbines in 2010. From environmental point of view, the gas turbine and the boiler firing equipment upgraded in 2011 operate with extremely good emission values.

During the century old history of the power plant, the application of high technical standards, adaptation to the economic and technical changes and a loyal and dedicated employee approach were typical.

Some figures about Kelenföld Power Plant (2013-14):

  • district heating area: 41 000 flats and 1 440 other district heating consumers
  • contracted heat capacity (for 2014 with FŐTÁV): 279 MWth
  • built-in electrical capacity: 178 MWe
  • built-in electrical capacity of the small gas turbines: 10 MWe

 

 


email