EN HU
kelenfold-winter-2-2.jpg
kelenfold-winter-2-3.jpg
kelenfold-winter-2-2.jpg

Újpest Power Plant - the oldest power plant unit of Budapesti Erőmű Zrt.

 

Address: Budapest IV., Tó u. 7.

Power Plant director: Vencel Pál

Tel.: +36/15778101

The power plant was established in the early 20th century in response to the power needs of the railway electrification. The Újpest power plant of Phőbus Villamos Vállatok Rt was started up in 1910. Initially, electricity was generated by alternators driven by piston type steam engines.

Due to the increasing electricity demand the capacity of the power plant was increased and two new power generation units were installed as soon as in 1914. Boiler steam generation was increased by the installation of two new boilers in 1917.

In 1924, another turbo generator unit was erected, and at the same time, the frequency value was changed from 42 Hz to 50 Hz in three-phase supply and from 15.75 Hz to 18.75 Hz in single-phase supply. At the end of 1930, the peak capacity of the power plant exceeded 9 MWe.

Due to the wear of the main equipment and the increase of the energy demand, as well as for the development of the power plant cooperation relations, a power plant reconstruction took place in 1935-38. In the framework of this, two new boilers were installed, the boiler pressure was increased from 13 bar to 26 bar and a 2 MWe topping turbine was built in.

The further increase in the peak load and the need for safe energy supply required the installation of a new, third boiler.

After the end of the combat events of World War II, when Kelenföld Power Plant was not capable to operate, Újpest Power Plant had to supply also some more distant areas and it changed over from two-shift to three-shift operation. In the years following the war, the greatest difficulty for the power plant was the steadily deteriorating coal quality. From 1953, the low caloric value of coal was compensated by the use of heavy oil.

For the boilers, natural gas firing was introduced in 1968. As a result of the sharp increase in the steam demand of the industrial plants at Újpest and of the heat demand of the housing estates, heat supply started also from Újpest Power Plant. Between 1964 and 1966 the condensing steam turbines were replace by three back pressure turbines with a total capacity of 10.1 MWe.

The power plant started to supply hot water for the district heating system in 1978. This is when a new steam boiler and a heat centre were put in operation. Due to the expansion of district heating, two 116 MWth hot water boilers were built in the 1980’s, and these boilers are in operation also today. To ensure the preconditions of heat supply, an electrical reconstruction was also started in 1975 with the installation of 10 KV and 6 KV metal-clad switchgears.

The most recent development at Újpest Power Plant started on 1 September 1999 and it finished on 15 February 2002. After a thorough preparation of this reconstruction, a 74 MWe gas turbine, a 37 MWe heating turbine and an 80 t/h steam boiler were installed. This development project of the power plant considerably increased the reliability and efficiency of heat supply in the North-Pest heat district and the utilisation rate and production volume of combined electricity generation. As a result of the development, the power plant gradually took over the entire North-Pest heat district.

At present, the power plant has an installed electrical capacity of 111 MWe, an installed hot water capacity of 342 MWth and a steam delivery capacity of 40 t/h.

Some figures about Újpest Power Plant (2013):

  • district heating area: 57 425 flats and 2 013 other district heating consumers (the largest heat district of Budapesti Erőmű)
  • contracted heat capacity (for 2014 with Főtáv): 290 MWth
  • steam supply for Chinoin (contracted capacity: LP: 10 MWth, HP: 12 MWth)
  • built-in electrical capacity: 111 MWe

 

 

Újpest Power Plant - the oldest power plant unit of Budapesti Erőmű Zrt.

 

Address: Budapest IV., Tó u. 7.

Power Plant director: Vencel Pál

Tel.: +36/15778101

The power plant was established in the early 20th century in response to the power needs of the railway electrification. The Újpest power plant of Phőbus Villamos Vállatok Rt was started up in 1910. Initially, electricity was generated by alternators driven by piston type steam engines.

Due to the increasing electricity demand the capacity of the power plant was increased and two new power generation units were installed as soon as in 1914. Boiler steam generation was increased by the installation of two new boilers in 1917.

In 1924, another turbo generator unit was erected, and at the same time, the frequency value was changed from 42 Hz to 50 Hz in three-phase supply and from 15.75 Hz to 18.75 Hz in single-phase supply. At the end of 1930, the peak capacity of the power plant exceeded 9 MWe.

Due to the wear of the main equipment and the increase of the energy demand, as well as for the development of the power plant cooperation relations, a power plant reconstruction took place in 1935-38. In the framework of this, two new boilers were installed, the boiler pressure was increased from 13 bar to 26 bar and a 2 MWe topping turbine was built in.

The further increase in the peak load and the need for safe energy supply required the installation of a new, third boiler.

After the end of the combat events of World War II, when Kelenföld Power Plant was not capable to operate, Újpest Power Plant had to supply also some more distant areas and it changed over from two-shift to three-shift operation. In the years following the war, the greatest difficulty for the power plant was the steadily deteriorating coal quality. From 1953, the low caloric value of coal was compensated by the use of heavy oil.

For the boilers, natural gas firing was introduced in 1968. As a result of the sharp increase in the steam demand of the industrial plants at Újpest and of the heat demand of the housing estates, heat supply started also from Újpest Power Plant. Between 1964 and 1966 the condensing steam turbines were replace by three back pressure turbines with a total capacity of 10.1 MWe.

The power plant started to supply hot water for the district heating system in 1978. This is when a new steam boiler and a heat centre were put in operation. Due to the expansion of district heating, two 116 MWth hot water boilers were built in the 1980’s, and these boilers are in operation also today. To ensure the preconditions of heat supply, an electrical reconstruction was also started in 1975 with the installation of 10 KV and 6 KV metal-clad switchgears.

The most recent development at Újpest Power Plant started on 1 September 1999 and it finished on 15 February 2002. After a thorough preparation of this reconstruction, a 74 MWe gas turbine, a 37 MWe heating turbine and an 80 t/h steam boiler were installed. This development project of the power plant considerably increased the reliability and efficiency of heat supply in the North-Pest heat district and the utilisation rate and production volume of combined electricity generation. As a result of the development, the power plant gradually took over the entire North-Pest heat district.

At present, the power plant has an installed electrical capacity of 111 MWe, an installed hot water capacity of 342 MWth and a steam delivery capacity of 40 t/h.

Some figures about Újpest Power Plant (2013):

  • district heating area: 57 425 flats and 2 013 other district heating consumers (the largest heat district of Budapesti Erőmű)
  • contracted heat capacity (for 2014 with Főtáv): 290 MWth
  • steam supply for Chinoin (contracted capacity: LP: 10 MWth, HP: 12 MWth)
  • built-in electrical capacity: 111 MWe

 

 


email